Thursday, June 14, 2012

Peejoo- the only impulsive decision i am proud of!

I  have grown up with so many dogs around me that i have totally lost count. But Peejoo is the first dog i am completely and solely responsible for. At my mom's place where i stayed with dogs, i mostly used to be there for the fun part. Playing and teasing. I used to be totally absent in the hard parts like early morning walks or vet trips. This is... the first time i have to do all of it. Its not easy but i have never wondered if it was a mistake to bring her.

The day i saw her first at CUPA, i just had to get her. My nanaji once told me that souls which are connected in one birth, always remain connected in rest all births. I am sure we had to cross paths because we have before. She has enriched my life more in a week than i could ever imagine.
The first day i got her, she was covered in ticks and had kennel cough. Trying new tricks everyday to get her swallow the medicines is my biggest task in the entire day. She did not drink water the first day she came and just sat in a corner. She did not behave like a 1 year dog. My 13 year old dog at my mom's place looked more active in front of her. But slowly she settled in. She waits for me everyday when i come home for lunch and when i come back in the evening. This is the first week where i have left her alone and with a little help from colleagues, i have been able to come back on time. I know there are going to days when i will be late and she will probably be scared, but i will make up for those few sad days in her life.

She has taught me to love unconditionally. I know she probably hates the fact that i leave her everday and must feel abandoned. But she greets me with the same enthusiasm every single day. Even if i leave the house for 15 min or 8 hours, she is standing at the door wagging her tail when she hears the key in the lock. She jumps around, tries to catch her tail and runs in circles till she is tired. Then she flops down and sleeps for 4 hours straight.

Before i had her, i used to come home and watch tv, surf internet and catch up on some pending calls. There was an irritation at some level that i constantly felt. Since she has come, i listen to some great songs on the radio when i take her for a walk. Gives a chance to reflect on life which we so rarely do these days. She goes around sniffing plants and growling at other dogs who must be twice her size, if not more. She taught me to be happy. We get so busy filling the hours in a day with work, tv, internet, mobile phones, that the pleasure of a walk with random thoughts is long forgotten. Ever stumbled upon ur favorite song playing on the radio? The pleasure that gives will not equal to all your favorite songs on your i-pod.

Sure, there is a lot more that i could wish in life. But her being around reminds me that we need so less to be a happy person. Her kneecap is dislocated, which she will probably have to live with all her life. But when you see her growling with confidence at other dogs, you realise that she does not think of herself to be any less than those perfect dogs out there. Then why are we so hard on ourselves for not fitting into that mould we would like to be in. We spend our lives comparing ourselves to others. To fit in. To get a little smarter, to earn a little more, to lose a little weight....But maybe happiness is just like looking out of the window of a moving car? Enjoying that breeze on your face? Greeting your loved ones with extreme happiness even if you have seen them just 15 min before? Sleeping like a baby knowing that tomorrow is a new day?

I right now see her sleeping across me (and snoring :) ) and i wonder how many years we will share together. Whatever life brings tomorrow, i am glad i made the impulsive decision of getting her. We both will have our good days and bad days but we both will have each other.

No comments:

Post a Comment